Schaff Universal Piano Bass Strings - Individual Strings
These professional universal bass strings are great when you need to replace a single bass string on your piano. To determine the size you need, measure the diameter of the wire with a micrometer or caliper. Precise measurements are very important.
1. Length from Hitch-Pin to start of winding (in inches)
2. Length of Winding (in inches)
3. Diameter of Copper Winding portion of the string (in 1000th of an inch)
Step by step instructions for installing Schaff universal replacement piano strings -
1. Place the loop end of the wire over the hitch pin and across the bass bridge. Line up replacement string with other strings in the piano. Measure 1/4" from the point where the windings end on other strings toward the bass bridge. Cut through the copper winding of the new string at this point.
2. Stretch the replacement string across to the upper plate bearing or agraffe. Line up the replacement string with the windings of the other strings. Measure 1/4" from the winding line toward the opposite (hitch pin) side to allow for stretch. Cut through the copper winding of the new string at this point.
3. Stretch the replacement string up to the tuning pin. Allow enough length for 3 coils on the tuning pin. Cut through the winding and wire core to remove excess length of the replacement string.
4. Be sure to cut through the copper winding with a circular motion in the same direction as the winding has been done. This will prevent the windings from loosening their grip on the core wire.
5. Remove the replacement string and unwind the copper winding at both ends up to the scored sections. Then install as you would any custom made string.
We Also Recommend
Schaff Universal Piano Bass Strings Full Set - 10 Very Heavy String Series